|Mrs. Buratto||Ms. Morgan||Mrs. Sweeney|
- Native Californian
- Graduated from the University of South Florida
- Masters degree in Administration- Cal State Los Angeles
- 24 years of service in Goleta Union School District, 2 years in the state of New Jersey- Summit School District, 6 years in Alhambra School District, and 2 years in the state of Florida-Hillsborough County
- Married with three children 24, 21, 19
- California native
- Graduated from University of La Verne
- 12 years of service in Goleta Union School district and three years in the Los Angeles area
- Grew up in Austria and Colorado
- Graduated from Colorado University Boulder
- 16 years of service in Goleta Union School District and three years in North Carolina
- Married with three children 20, 22, and 23
As a sixth grade team, we provide a learning environment that encourages children to become problem solvers and self-directed learners. We set high expectations for our students. Students are guided to become independent and critical thinkers. We place a heavy emphasis on preparing students for their next step into junior high and beyond.
English Language Arts
Reading: Sixth grade uses a balance of literary selections including, text, core literature, and expository text
Writing: Students write for a variety of purposes including argument, informative, and narrative.
Listening and Speaking: Students are expected to deliver focused, coherent presentations that convey ideas clearly.
Units: Expressions and equations, the number system, ratios and proportional relationships, statistics and probability, and geometry.
By the end of grade six, students are expected to master and apply the concepts of the rigorous sixth grade curriculum: number sense, algebra/functions, geometry/measurement, statistics/data analysis/probability, and problem solving.
Units: Early Man, Mesopotamia, Egypt, India, China, Greece, and Rome.
Units: Oceanography, plate tectonics, earthquakes, volcanoes, and biomes.
Students also have Science Lab once a week with a science specialists.
Our daily homework routine includes multiple subjects and at least 20 minutes of reading.
La Patera sixth graders have a trip of a lifetime in the fall when we go to Catalina Island for a week of science exploration at Catalina Island Marine Institute. We also have many exciting field trips including walking to Goleta Valley Junior High in preparation for seventh grade.
School Supply List:
-Homework binder / folder
-A silent reading book must be brought daily