|Mrs. Buratto||Ms. Haight||Ms. Morgan|
- Native Californian
- Graduated from the University of South Florida
- Masters degree in Administration- Cal State Los Angeles
- 24 years of service in Goleta Union School District, 2 years in the state of New Jersey- Summit School District, 6 years in Alhambra School District, and 2 years in the state of Florida-Hillsborough County
- Married with three children 24, 21, 19
- Raised in Goleta, elementary education from Goleta Union School District
- Bachelor of Arts from CSU Chico
- Master of Education in Teaching from UCSB
- Three years of teaching experience in fourth and sixth grades
- California native
- Master’s Degree from Fielding Graduate University in Collaborative Educational Leadership
- Graduated from University of La Verne
- 12 years of service in Goleta Union School district
- 1 year of service in Baldwin Park USD
- 2 years of service in Compton USD
As a sixth grade team, we provide a learning environment that encourages children to become problem solvers and self-directed learners. We set high expectations for our students. Students are guided to become independent and critical thinkers. We place a heavy emphasis on preparing students for their next step into junior high and beyond.
English Language Arts
Reading: Sixth grade uses a balance of literary selections including, text, core literature, and expository text
Writing: Students write for a variety of purposes including argument, informative, and narrative.
Listening and Speaking: Students are expected to deliver focused, coherent presentations that convey ideas clearly.
Units: Expressions and equations, the number system, ratios and proportional relationships, statistics and probability, and geometry.
By the end of grade six, students are expected to master and apply the concepts of the rigorous sixth grade curriculum: number sense, algebra/functions, geometry/measurement, statistics/data analysis/probability, and problem solving.
Units: Early Man, Mesopotamia, Egypt, India, China, Greece, and Rome.
Students have Science Lab once a week with a science specialist.
The district is currently transitioning to NGSS (Next Generation Science Standards). In 6th grade, we will focus on three areas: earth and space, physical and life science.
Some of the concepts we will cover are: matter and energy in organisms and ecosystems; the earth’s systems; forces and interactions, natural selection and adaptations; weather and climate as well as waves and electromagnetic radiation.
Extras: Community service and career exploration
Our daily homework routine includes multiple subjects and at least 20 minutes of reading.
La Patera sixth graders have a trip of a lifetime in the fall when we go to Catalina Island for 3 days of science exploration at Catalina Island Marine Institute. We also have many exciting field trips including walking to Goleta Valley Junior High in preparation for seventh grade.
School Supply List:
-Homework binder / folder
-A silent reading book must be brought daily