Mrs. Teresa Chavez-Madrigal
- San Diego State University Graduate
- Over 30 years of service with Goleta Union School District at La Patera School
- 29 years teaching First Grade and now the Learning Center Teacher
- Teacher Induction Program Mentoring New Teachers for 15 years
- Union Teacher Site Representative for two years
- Santa Barbara Native
- Married with one son and two daughters
At the Learning Center, we welcome students who need more practice with reading concepts learned in the regular classroom. Throughout the day we see eight select small groups of students from kindergarten through grade six. Each student receives 30 minutes a day of individualized instruction based on the needs indicated by the most recent data collected.
This is a safe learning environment where students take risks, make mistakes, ask questions, and where learning takes place. We provide strong positive guidance and clear expectations in a caring, supportive setting.
Our time is maximized by using the SIPPs curriculum, which gives students a systematic program of phonological practice in listening, reading and writing. In grades 4-6 we also use Wordly Wise, a systematic academic vocabulary development program and Daily Reading Comprehension to provide instruction and practice in both comprehension strategies and comprehension skills. We aim to give students the practice they need to become proficient readers.