Welcome to La Patera
La Patera Elementary
- Class Size: This year in Kindergarten we average 13 students per classroom.
- Certificated Tutors: There are six certificated tutors (teachers with credentials) that assist classroom teachers in providing individualized and strategic instruction. During the Multi-Tiered Systems of Support (MTSS) time, each teacher has an average of 8 to 10 students.
- Specialists: We have wonderful specialists who teach our students Science, Physical Education, Technology, Arts and Music. We also have a library specialist who opens the library before school, during the morning and lunch recess and after school.
- Special Funding: Our Holderman Endowment (unique to La Patera) provides financial support to continue offering specialist support and unique experiences to all of our students.
- Language Development: Academic Language Development (ALD) and English Language Development (ELD) are offered on a daily basis to all students in correlation with their individual language levels.
- Field Trips: Every grade has 2 to 3 field trips a year that is funded in part by the PTA. All sixth graders attend the Catalina Island Marine Institute (CIMI) for five days during the fall semester. All fifth graders attend Rancho El Chorro for three days during the spring semester.
- Teachers: The teaching staff is fully credentialed (NCLB Highly Qualified Teacher) and they love teaching at La Patera!
- Garden Interactive Classes: Students plant, play and learn about gardening. They even get to harvest and enjoy some of the healthy food that our garden produces.
- Parent Involvement: Parents are encouraged to get involved with our wonderful PTA. We also have many opportunities for help within your child’s classroom.
- Cafeteria Food: Most menu items are made from scratch with wholesome ingredients, with many fresh fruits and vegetables purchased from local and organic farmers when possible. We offer a salad bar daily.
- After School Enrichment: La Patera offers on campus classes after school including: Engineering/LEGO, Chess, Arts, Hip Hop and more.
- After School Care: We offer an on-campus after school program, including a Kinder bridge program. The program begins after school and ends at 5:30 PM every day.